Category Archives: Arma 2
So with the conclusion of this years Steam Autumn sale I was able to add a number of games to my collection. Some of which I had on my list for a while and some which I never heard of and purchased them based on their videos and reviews. The exhaustive list and the reasons for purchase are listed below:
- Terraria – I wanted to see for myself how similiar it was to minecraft, I can conclude the similarities I found were uncanny to say the least. It has renewed my insterest in procedurally generated worlds.
- Arma II: Combined Operations – Recommendation by a friend for the DayZ mod.
- Portal 2 – Already have 1 and enjoyed it so I figured why not get 2.
- The Walking Dead – Highly recommended by my cousin who is never been wrong about good TV series and games.
- Mark of the ninja – Seemed interesting and it was indie so why not.
- F1 2012 – Last formula 1 game I purchased was Ayrton Senna on the sega megadrive, yes a long time ago. I remember I thoroughly enjoyed it and once played it nonstop for 18 hours straight, no working save feature, just to so I could see the ending. Having such a fond memory, it was time to renew my interest and see how much the F1 game technology had changed. Sound is amazing.
- Borderlands 2 – Previously played 1 and still have the Dr expansion unwrapped and in its box.
- Borderlands 2 Brady Guide – Yolo and because I found 1 a little slow moving and tedious at times.
- Dishonored – Wow, this was surprisingly good. Only reached into the sewers on the first level before it suddenly crashed on level load and transition. However, up until that point a really deep and immersive experience. Excellent AI and story. I will be returning to this one.
- The Witcher 2 – I wanted to compare it to skyrim. I do know it doesnt contain a fast travel feature which I am not looking forward to so I will be leaving this one until the school holidays new week where I will have more time.
- Alan Wake Bundle (Summer 2012) – Our teacher once said that if he could work for any game company it would be Remedy games. Not knowing who they were I discovered they were the original developers and owners of Max Payne 1&2 series. This cemented my purchase as Max Payne 2 was one of the very few FPS games that I ever finished without being bored first.
- Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition Complete Pack – I simply enjoy collecting street fighter editions.
As the title suggests there were a few complications in installing Arma 2 and getting the DayZ mod working, even from a steam installation, which I found annoying.
Here is how I got it working.
So you need both Arma 2 and Arma 2 operation arrowhead installed. I went ahead and installed Arma 2 first and played the game. Its not your usual FPS and it takes a little getting use it, namely certain action buttons are not configured the same. Next I installed operation arrowhead and played the game also, this time only just to see the game open before shutting it down.
This was when the first incident occurred in the form of the following error:
no entry bin config.bin/cfgingameui/mptable.shadow
Now to fix this issue, I needed to shutdown steam completely and run again as an Administrator. Re-running the game installation process and the issue went away. Note: You I only had to run steam as admin on the first successful install, after that the game did not complain of this issue.
Next I proceeded to grab the latest DayZ mod from here. After downloading I unzip the rar file using 7-zip into my default steam location, it created the folders Key and @DayZ and inside that was the Addon folder with all the necessary mod files. Running the game now I recieved my next error:
dayz_anim requires addon ca_dubbing_counterattack
To fix this I need install the beta patch found here, I just got the latest link at the very top. Next I needed to link the contents of Arma 2 expansion folder to where DayZ was installed, in this case within operation arrowhead folder. To do this I needed to alter the properties of shortcut that ran operation arrowhead to as follows.
“C:\Program Files (x86)\Valve\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead\Expansion\beta\arma2oa.exe” -noSplash “-mod=c:\program files (x86)\Valve\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 2;expansion;expansion\beta;expansion\beta\expansion;@DayZ;@namalsk;@DayZ_Namalsk;@NC
Retesting, the errors went away and DayZ was finally installed with no errors. Hopefully that helped someone also.
Strangly I didn’t play the game, I think I lost interest with the issues that occurred. I may revisit it during school holidays, mainly because it is nearly impossible to pry my hands away from the more addictive and fun Counter Strike Go.